The best way of getting rid of ants is to use an integrated pest management program to identify the source and use low-risk effective methods to effectively neutralize the pests.
Ants can be more than just a nuisance. Odorous ants contaminate food and carpenter ants build nests by tunnelling through wood—damaging wall framing and other wood materials of your house.
Avoid creating a haven for ants. Ants look for food, water and shelter. Try to minimize their access to each.
These indoor tips will not only make your home less welcoming to ants, but also to cockroaches, rodents and other pests:
- Don’t leave crumbs or spills; clean those tempting food items up—before an ant decides to do it for you.
- Wipe off those sticky syrup and honey bottles—better yet, stick them in the fridge. A little bit of goo for you, is a smorgasbord for a tiny ant.
- Wrap up sticky or stinky trash—and if possible keep in a sealed waste bin until trash day. The best way to get rid of your old vegetables, fruit scraps, and coffee grounds? Put them in your compost bin, away from your house. You’ll be creating great compost while keeping pest enticements away from your living space.
These outdoor tips will reduce an insect’s water source along with eliminating easy entrances.
- Remove water sources such as drips or leaks. (Not only to reduce pests such as ants and termites, but to prevent mold and other house damage.)
- Trim back trees and bushes from your home to reduce access. Once again, this not only makes it more difficult for insects to get inside, but it will help reduce other nuisance animals such as squirrels and mice from visiting your attic space.
- Repair window screens and fix up gaps along the screen edges.
- Caulk cracks around windows or doors. Save on heating and cooling bills while keeping ants out!
- Repair masonry cracks. Having the job done right may cost you less time and money than you expect with an experienced mason.
Debug ant control in Rhode Island, Eastern Connecticut, and Eastern Massachusetts
For superior carpenter ant control, sugar ant control, and flying ant control in the Rhode Island, Eastern Connecticut, and eastern Massachusetts region, contact Debug ant control. We offer Green Pest Control along with conventional ant solutions to get rid of all house ants.
Call the pest professionals
Invest in a “Home Protection Plan.”* Regularly scheduled pest control maintenance means having a licensed pest professional create a customized integrated pest control plan for your property.
"Having Debug treat our property monthly for mosquitoes is truly money well spent. Finally we can sit outside in the evening and enjoy our yard. Recently we had them remove a yellow jackets nest too. It's reassuring knowing you have a service provider you trust and can rely on when you call. Thank you!"
Lori T. - Glocester, RI