Q: What are the health risks associated with common pests?
Pests can transmit a number of potentially serious diseases, illnesses and allergies. They include:
- Mosquitoes: West Nile Virus, malaria, and encephalitis
- Ticks: Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain spotted fever
- Fleas: Dermatitis, murine typhus, and bubonic plague
- Rodents: Hantavirus Pulmonary syndrome, salmonella, murine typhus, and rat-bite fever
- Bees/Wasps/Yellow Jackets: Severe allergic reactions including anaphylactic shock
- Cockroaches: Asthma, allergies, and food poisoning